do I perform a web hosting search to
find reliable hosting for my SOHO?
By Prakash Will
a web hosting search to find reliable
hosting can be a difficult task. This is because hosting
companies focusing on the higher-end corporate market
often overlook the fast-growing small office/home office
(SOHO) sector. For this reason, a web hosting
search for quality Web hosting can be a challenge,
especially for individuals and businesses on a limited
budget. A web hosting search for reliable
hosting is possible if a buyer takes the following steps:
clarify needs before your web hosting search;
gather recommendations; create a short list of potential
Web hosts, and ask questions.
Clarify your needs before your web hosting
• How much disk space and bandwidth is necessary?
• Will you require CGI or database capacities?
• What operating system will you need?
• Will you have streaming media requirements?
• Will you site change substantially in the future?
• Are you searching for hosting only for your
purposes or for clients?
• Be wary of web hosting search
directories; many are owned by Web hosts.
• Obtain opinions from those who have Web sites.
• Query trade associations and mailing lists during
your web hosting search.
• Read alt.www.webmaster newsgroup postings.
Create a shortlist:
• Make a list of hosts that you see are recommended
the most and complained about the least.
• Determine which hosts offer specific services
that you need, with scalability for future changes.
• Determine which host fits your price range.
• Ask hosting firms technical questions to gauge
their knowledge and accuracy.
• Ask a lot of question to determine the host's
commitment to customers.
• Subject host to an honesty test: offer them
the opportunity to up sell you needlessly.
SOHO consumers can perfor a web hosting search
and find the most effective hosting services for their
business if they follow and understand the following
• Small business may feel most comfortable with
small hosts who better understand their needs.
• Do not be seduced by hosts offering more than
you need and then skimps on support.
• Note the price of affordable hosting is often
that the customer is expected to be technically knowledgeable
• Choose a host who is flexible, scalable, and
who can grow with your business.
• Ensure that you can add domains to a core plan
and resell services.
• Ensure that the host offers a knowledge base.
• Check to ensure that the host offers some level
• Watch for signs of rudeness, impatience and
• Do not sign a long-term contact for hosting
services right away.
• If you have more than one site, consider spreading
them among several hosts.
About the Author: Prakash Will is in
charge of a well-known webmaster resources site. You
can find him at www.phppoint.com